- 2 cans jackfruit pieces, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika ground
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 tbsp Mad Dog Xtra Bite BBQ Sauce
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp salt flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Warm tortillas to serve
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit pieces in a colander or sieve. Roughly pull apart the pieces into smaller chunks and leave in the colander or sieve to drain well whilst preparing other ingredients.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil with the onion slices and pan fry for 8-10 minutes or until the onion has softened and started to brown.
- Add in the tomato paste, sweet paprika and cumin, and pan fry for another minute before adding in the drained jackfruit chunks and the additional tbsp olive oil.
- Pan fry for another 3-4 minutes then stir in the Mad Dog Spicy BBQ Sauce, orange juice, salt, smoked paprika and maple syrup.
- Fry for another 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure all the ingredients are hot and well combined.
- Place the jackfruit in a serving bowl and serve hot alongside warmed tortillas, sour cream or slices of avocado, thinly sliced red cabbage dressed with a squeeze of lime, fresh coriander, pickled jalapeno slices and extra Mad Dog Spicy BBQ Sauce for drizzling.
Jackfruit tacos are an easy, meat-free meal suitable for vegan and non-vegans alike. Jackfruit is a large fruit that’s thought to be indigenous to India, but today, grows in tropical regions, such as Southeast Asia and Brazil. Canned jackfruit is available at most Asian grocery stores and well-stocked grocery stores with a natural-foods focus.
You will be pleasantly surprised with this jackfruit recipe that is packed with flavour, incorporating Mad Dog Xtra Bite Spicy BBQ Sauce.